Salty and sweet. The combination of Jell-O and pretzels is delicious.
Is it a salad? Is it a dessert? We sent filmmaker Boaz Frankel out to uncover the history of this Pittsburgh picnic staple.
If you are from Pittsburgh, you’ve likely seen this concoction at a picnic or potluck. If you’ve never tried this dish before, you are likely to be skeptical.
What is Strawberry Pretzel Salad?
The strawberry pretzel salad is a layered dish. The base is a pretzel crust. The filling is a whipped cream layer, often made with Cool Whip. The top layer is strawberry Jell-O with strawberries.
Strawberry Pretzel Jello Salad Recipe
Wanna make your own? Brown Eyed Baker has a traditional recipe for strawberry pretzel salad.
- The Kitchen Whisper has a recipe for a Pittsburgh Strawberry Pretzel Tart
- Not quite a strawberry pretzel recipe, but if you are looking for a vegan option, check out Fooduzzi’s strawberry coconut cream pie recipe.
Looking for some history on the Jell-O salad?
- Why strawberry pretzel salad is the queen of all Jell-O salads, Southern Kitchen
- How Jell-O Molds Claimed Their Spot on the American Table, New York Times
If you liked this video…
This video was made for Very Local by Boaz Frankel. Boaz is a filmmaker who has recently moved to Pittsburgh.
- A Sandwich with Casey Renee – Boaz caught up with Casey Renee last year for a sandwich at Duncan Street Sandwich Shop in Millvale
- A Visit to the Pretzel Shop – we sent Boaz to the South Side to capture the history of this local business that has been making soft pretzels for decades.
- The Farmers’ Market Co-Op of East Liberty – Boaz takes us on a tour of this market that has been open every Saturday since 1941.