Situated at the intersection of Wilkinsburg, Churchill & Penn Hills, over 30 households will be participating in this neighborhood yard sale.
One of our most popular stories last summer was our guide to Pittsburgh neighborhood yard sales. Due to COVID-19, most of our favorite neighborhood-wide yard sales were canceled this summer.
I just saw a yard-sign for the Blackridge neighborhood yard sale and over 30 households have signed up to participate.
Hi Blackridge neighbors – Don’t miss the annual Garage Sale this Saturday! Over thirty homes have signed up to participate. Are you planning on shopping, or are you going to be selling? Let us know below!
Blackridge is one of those places that I’ve driven past or through for most of my life but that I know very little about. The Blackridge yard sale caught my eye, not only because I love a good yard sale (still not sure if I think this classifies as a socially distant activity) and I’ve been wanting to walk around the Blackridge neighborhood and check out the houses. According to Wikipedia, the houses in Blackridge were built between 1920 to 1949.
There is a distinct style of architecture to the homes in Blackridge, I did a quick Google search on Blackridge architecture but I didn’t find much. Here is some info from a Post-Gazette story on a home in Blackridge that was for sale last year.
The house is in Blackridge, a plan of sturdy brick and stone houses built for Westinghouse executives and other professionals that stretches through parts of Wilkinsburg, Penn Hills and Churchill.
I’ll have to follow up with some of our historic architecture contacts to see if we can learn more about this neighborhood.
If you like old houses, you might be interested in some of these stories:
- Check out my interview with historian and archivist Charles Succop who runs the @hiddenhousepgh Instagram account.
- If you like houses, you might like our profile of the @housesofPGH Instagram account.
- For more on historic Pittsburgh architecture, check out our interview with Justin Greenawalt, who gives some background on the Pittsburgh potty.
Blackridge Neighborhood Yard Sale
- Date: Saturday, July 25, 2020
- Time: 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Location: I think your best bet is to set your GPS to the Eastridge Branch of the Wilkinsburg Library (1900 Graham Blvd., Pittsburgh, PA 15235), which is sort of in the middle of the Blackridge neighborhood.
The yard sale is being organized by the Blackridge Civic Association. The Blackridge Civic Association runs a community center and there is also a Blackridge community pool (which is closed for the 2020 season due to COVID-19).
Where is Blackridge?
Blackridge is a neighborhood that is located to the east of the City of Pittsburgh. I was surprised to learn that Blackridge is not a separate municipality but an area that happens to overlay on the municipalities of Wilkinsburg, Penn Hills and Churchill.